Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Monday, July 6, 2009

Firsts and Lasts

As parents, we anticipate and are overjoyed by our child's "firsts." First steps, first words, first smile, ect... I journaled every "first" that Karissa had. I kept a calendar and marked it all down so I wouldn't forget all her important milestones. I was so excited when she hit a milestone! I love to scrapbook and I even created a 2-page layout that captured some of the big first's of Karissa's life.

Lately though, I have been focusing on all the "lasts." The last time I went to Target with Karissa. Her last bath, last meal, last play date, last walk, last pair of pajamas she wore. I remember the last time I went to the grocery store with Karissa. I can recall every single item I bought. It makes me so sad.

I find it very ironic. Shortly after Karissa died, I started writing down everything we did in the last week of her life. I kept a very detailed journal. I didn't want to forget anything we did. Just as I never want to forget all of Karissa's "firsts" I never, ever, want to forget all of the "lasts".

2 comments:

  1. Adrianne~ What a beautiful reminder you share that we should never take one single "first", or "last" with our children for granted. All of your posts have been so thought provoking. I really think God is using you and Karissa for His glory. I am so sorry for all that you've been through and continue to have to walk through. There's a children's book I have that makes me cry each time I read it. It's called Let Me Hold You Longer. It talks about exactly what you just posted. We focus on all our children's firsts but rarely on their lasts. I am praying for you this week, and will continue to do so. I am so, so sorry for the pain you're in. Please, let me know if there is anything I can do, or specific prayer requests you might have.

    Praying,

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete